Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Day 8: I Heart Horns



It should actually be I Heart Saxophones, but I used a bit of creative disambiguation today. I want to do another idea for the letter S.

I've wanted to play saxophone since I was a little kid, so a few months ago I finally decided to get a sax and take lessons. It isn't a hard instrument to play a simple song on, but I'm still far away from playing as good as Clarence Clemmons or that guy from Madness.

For today's photo I wanted to try something new. I never done a silhouette before and it was a good learning experience. It still however took some messing around with levels to get the blacks and the whites like in the picture above. And if anybody thinks the area around my eyes looks weird: those are glasses ;)

14 comments:

BUFFMUFIN said...

Absolutely awesome image! Silhouette is sharp and the bit of gold highlights the saxophone beautifully. Very well done. :)

Doug Chandler said...

Excellent! Truly Excellent! -chortler

MeLummy said...

Agree with others, this is fantastic! Beauty.

Rhiannonsmommy said...

Awesome! I likey.

Ziaphra said...

This is awesome...perfect!

Anonymous said...

Great silhouette, I like how a little golden glow is still visible.

MyShutterBug said...

Great silhouette, nice touch with the golden glow...I can definitely hear the sound of Sax when I see this pic. Nice work!

kimbomac said...

This is totally awesome! Well done getting that lovely white background and the total dark shadow. What did you use as a background? Nice big window? I do like the slight traces of gold in the 'horn' and I don't think anyone could mistake that thing on your face for anything but glasses! Awesome work and my fave of yours so far, I reckon!

jbowring said...

Awesome! I think this one is frame worthy, well done.

Julia said...

Gorgeous silhouette with just a touch of gold on the bell. Very nice!

Anmatta said...

Thanks for all the kind comments. I am really proud of this photo.
I actually used a white wall as the background. I put two halogen lamps on it and used the wall as a huge reflector. I stood in front of the of the lamps, so I didn't get any light on me. I didn't even think of using a window. I must remember that for next time, that's probably easier :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely silouette. Great pic.

Phildo said...

PERFECT!!!!!!

Whalelight said...

This shot is just plain fantastic. My fave so far, you and the sax look so cool :)